Saturday, March 17, 2012

Cool Vintage Dresser


I normally don't do pieces of furniture that are plastic but this one was almost free so I decided it might be fun to see what I could do with it. The dresser is made by Bassett Furniture and has solid wood drawers with dove-tail details but has these weird plastic drawer fronts with cool scroll details.

I made a little more work for myself than necessary by not using an oil based primer on the plastic part. I will never do that again! After stripping that all off I restarted with an awesome spray primer --the best ever--Rustoleums Painters Touch Ultra Cover Primer. It is specifically formulated for all types of materials including plastics. Then I painted the dresser with a gray oops paint and glazed with Rustoleum Kona Stain that I diluted with mineral spirits so it wouldn't go on as strong and use as much product. Then used Minwax paste wax and lots of elbow grease to buff it to a soft sheen.

I'm actually pretty impressed with how it turned out.

So here's the BEFORE...

And here's the AFTER...

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Old Mission Style Coffee Table Turned Cute Craft Table

I wish I had a before picture to show you all, but this is a project I made quite a few years ago. I found a really solid mission style coffee table at Goodwill for super cheap--like $25. The top was in pretty rough shape and got quite a bit of sanding action. I used a hammer to tap off the existing legs and replaced them with fence posts from Lowes--again super cheap. I secured them with dowels and glue like the origional legs, but for extra stability, I used L-shaped backets and wood screws.

My husband thought it was a great idea to let our kids use it for an "Art Studio" but after a few years of "ART" it again needed a good sanding. So here it is for the second refinish now as my sewing/craft table. I stained the top dark brownish black and painted the stools and bottom portion white. I did some of my usual distressing and put on a top coat. Just for fun, I thought I would try a new technique for the protective coat. Instead of poly urathane on the top, I used a water based poly acrylic in my sprayer. This started out as a diaster. I waited for a nice calm day with no breeze got it all sprayed on and while it was drying my neighbors landscaping crew showed up and started blowing her yard. I wanted to scream! So I had to spend some time wet sanding the top to get all the dust nibs out. URGG!